Wednesday, June 11, 2014

TOW #30: Letter to a New APELC Student

Dear future APELC student,

     First, I want to congratulate you on choosing to take AP English Language and Composition; it's a challenging course. Understand that this course will be different from other English courses you have taken in the past, and not only because it is an AP course. For one thing, there was a lot more writing involved, as is to be expected. But along with having more in-class writing assignments, you will have more interesting, meaningful prompts. Rather than being graded on how accurate you were, you will be graded based on how well you can present and support your ideas. There really are no wrong answers. Also, APELC will expose you to a new type of writing which, if you are like me, you will have never read before. Likewise, the projects will be different in that they will be more based on your interpretation of someone else's ideas rather than just someone else's ideas. Along with every other aspect, the readings will get harder. Whereas before you might have been able to read a passage and immediately pull the "right" idea from it, it will not be so easy this year and that may not even be the point of reading the passage.
     As for advice, I would say that it is important to keep up with the readings and you want to start into take-home essays and projects as soon as you can. But in this course, I would also recommend that you try to complete for understanding and not just for completion. Although sometimes it is necessary to finish something simply so you get credit, there are more important things at stake in this course. I found that the skills I learned in this class, such as the ability to recognize different types of claims, were worth more than the informal credit sometimes given or the ability to participate in class. On the rare occasion that I could not finish the assignment meaningfully, I did sometimes end up skimming the material or ideas, and I always regretted it. If I could give you, incoming APELC students, any one piece of advice it would be to complete assignments for understanding rather than for completion.
     Since this is an AP course, I'm sure you already understand that there may be obstacles and difficulties. What you absolutely need to understand is that it is not a bad thing to experience these obstacles; the only bad thing would be to not try to overcome them. You must try not to let yourself be defeated. And what Mr. Yost says at the beginning of the year is true: some APELC students will get lower grades than they are used to. What is important to remember is that you are not defined by one lower-than-usual grade. I even believe that those who experience more obstacles could potentially be more successful in this course so long as they can overcome the obstacles and learn from them. What you will find is that the obstacles do not disappear, but rather you will get better at dealing with them.
     I personally thought APELC was worth taking, and I am glad you did, too. Even though I do not think I want to be an English major or even minor, I do not regret taking this course, for APELC helped me in almost every other subject. If you work hard and stay confident this year, I have no doubt that you will not only improve your writing and reading style, but also enjoy the interesting topics Mr. Yost introduces to you.

Sincerely,
Former APELC-er Rachel Misbin

P.S. Go all out on toga day, because it's worth it. Togas are both comfortable and fashionable.

No comments:

Post a Comment